How To Make Fabric Covered Buttons
1. First you need to draw circles on the fabric that are big enough to cover the button's top and underside (apart from the shank part). Measure the button's diameter and then measure the shank's diameter. Double the button's diameter then minus the shank's diameter. If your button has a particularly raised edge you will need to add the height of that in twice too.
2. Cut out the circles of fabric.
3. Take the needle and thread and stitch a couple of millimetres inside the edge of the circle of fabric.
4. Pull the thread so that it tightens and pulls the material into a mushroom shape.
5. Insert the button with a shank or plastic button cover into the mushroom and pull the thread tighter so that it forms a cover. Tie the thread together in a knot and push the seal on to the button if it came with one.
6. Find a plain cardigan or blouse and replace the boring buttons with your new patterned buttons. , ,,